Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Introducing myself...

Hi!  I'm Kumquat.  I chose that fruit because it is unique, and because it has a sweet outside and a tart inside.  That kind of fits my personality.
I have struggled with weight issues for a long time.  I was a big baby, and as long as I can remember my Dad would tell me I was chubby and make comments about my size.  I was a chubby toddler, and I always had a round face, but after about Kindergarten I was a pretty average sized girl.  Sports were my thing in grade school and Junior High, and a bit in high school until I got too scared that I wouldn't make varsity and my senior year I chubbed up some.  Running was my emotional outlet back in the days of my teenage angst (along with loud music and wearing black) and I would often run three or more miles a day.  It was a time to be alone with my thoughts, and just run all my emotions away.  Senior year was also when I stopped running as much, and I never really picked it back up after that.
I was fairly thin when I got married.  Thin for me anyway, but 14 years and several children later I am no longer in any shape but round.  After every pregnancy I had intentions of getting back in shape, I just never got around to it, and so I have gotten a little bit bigger with each child.  My husband has expanded right along with me.  We started out with the same waist size when we got married, and we continue to wear the same size now, ten inches later.  We both want to get in better shape and take back our lives.  It would be really nice to be able to keep up with our kids and actually play with them without getting winded.
I am not aiming so much for a certain number on the scale as much as I am aiming to be in better health and to feel more energy.  I know I need to lose quite a bit of weight (according to the BMI it would be great if I weighed 100 lbs less than I do right now) I'd be happy losing 70, which would still put me in the safe zone for my BMI.  I'm starting out with trying to eat healthier.  More salads and fruit instead of seconds of dinner and such, and hoping to start in walking and such soon.  Right now I have a medical condition that prevents me from being able to do heavy exercise, but I am hoping that restriction will be lifted this fall so I can get serious.
Thanks for letting me be part of this blog!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome kumquat! My husband and I have the same issue with getting bigger together throughout the years. We LOVE to eat together and we both enjoy food so much.

    I also have gotten bigger with every child I've had. I've tried to lose the weight, but every time I exercised/dieted after giving birth, my appetite would become ravenous and I couldn't stop eating.

    I think your goals are great and welcome!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever eaten a kumquat. Not sure if I would recognize it if I say one.

    Anyhow, I am glad you are here and I'm glad you told your story.

    This fruit salad keeps getting yummier and yummier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heeeeeeey, Miss Kumquat :)

    Glad to have you here. I've never seen a kumquat either, that I know of.

    Hope your medical condition goes easily and clears up on time... it's frustrating to not be able to do what you want.

    Good for you, for channeling your anxieties into running. That was very healthy of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do I know you'll succeed? Your comment right here:" I am not aiming so much for a certain number on the scale as much as I am aiming to be in better health and to feel more energy."
    My sis and I have been in the fitness industry for over 25 years, and the people who succeed at creating a healthy lifestyle for themselves have exactly that realistic approach. You will get to your goal - 1 step at a time. You may run in different directions here and there, but you will get there! We can tell.

    ReplyDelete