Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Calories: The Big Sux Donut

Calories are a sad fact of weight loss life, but one of my most useful tools.

My weight loss efforts started to work when I stopped feeling bad about myself and what I'd done to my body and how horrible a person I was for doing it and how awful I looked and how long it would take to lose the weight and how hopeless it was and blah, blah, blah...

...and started making myself accountable for what I was putting into my body.

It stopped being about emotions, and started being about math. A - B = C.

Sucks, don't it? But it works.

I know Pear likes to keep track of calories too, so I thought we could start a master list of our favorite snacks - good and bad - and what they take away from our daily calorie budget.

100 Calories

Half a Kit Kat Bar
Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle Bar ***** 5 stars
140 calorie Skinny Cow Mint Sandwich

200 Calories

300 Calories
Hostess Cupcakes - 360
Apple + 2 Tb of Jiff Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter

3 comments:

  1. I feel weird commenting because I haven't seen any comments from outsiders to the blog so far. However, I do have some favorite snacks.
    I really like strawberries. On a hot summer day they are great to eat frozen, and eating them frozen also makes it take longer to eat them. A cup of strawberry halves is only 49 calories, so you could theoretically have two cups and still be under 100.
    The Costco Brand of Tortilla strips have 140 calories per serving, and the brand of salsa I use is only ten calories per serving, so I can have a 150 calorie snack that way.
    I also have a weakness for white bread. I love a nice sandwich with lots of lunch meat. They add up though. I get mini slider hamburger buns which are 70 calories each and use lunchmeat on them at about 60 calories. The meat to bread ratio is better and you can get a nice sandwich for few calories that way. You can even have cheese on it and stay under 300 really easily, especially since you only need a half slice of cheese for that little bun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I thought it was really interesting to look at some different sites about calories. One has pictures of different foods that equal 200 calories http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm
    and another one shows meals around 300 to 400 calories at http://www.diet-blog.com/07/what_do_300_calorie_meals_look_like.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome and thank you,Heffalump, for the links. The picture that made me the most sad, was the peanut butter. Eat a whole jar of peanut butter in a week, by myself.

    I'm going to try the mini slider burger buns you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete